Dr. Charles L. Vail
Voice: Lyric tenor
To provide a well-rounded vocal and musical performance education to students wishing to pursue a career in vocal music, such as studies in stage productions (opera, operetta, and musicals), or advanced teaching methods of singing.
To prepare talented vocal students for professional singing careers, and for careers as teachers of singing.
- Sang professionally for 25 years in theaters in Europe, including numerous appearances in Austria, Switzerland, and Germany.
- Speaks fluent German.
- Sings in numerous languages, including French, German, Italian, English, and Latin.
- Performed in countless stage productions ranging from opera and European operettas to American musicals.
- Taught English at the Berlitz International School of Languages in Bern, Switzerland for 19 years.
- Taught voice, choir, and music theory at Sacramento City College, Sacramento, California, for 6 years
- Directed West Sacramento Community Singers for 12 years
- Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) in Opera Performance and Vocal Pedagogy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, 1984
- Diploma in Opera, Mozarteum Hochschule für Darstellende Künste, Salzburg, Austria, 1981
- Master of Music (MM) in Voice, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1976
- Bachelor of Music in Voice, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 1974
- High School Diploma, Hillsboro, Illinois, 1969
- Professor of Voice — Sacramento City College, Sacramento, California 2005-2014
- Stage Vocal Performer — Stadt Theater Bern, Bern, Switzerland 1981-2004
- Perform and rehearse as soloist and chorister in operas, operettas, and musicals sung in numerous languages.
- Teacher of English — Berlitz International School of Languages, Bern, Switzerland 1982-2004
- Teach English to non-English speakers at all levels of competence.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant in Voice — University of Iowa, Iowa 1976-1979
- Taught voice lessons to graduate and undergraduate music students with double majors, or whose major was other than voice.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant in Voice — University of Nebraska, Nebraska 1974-1976
- Taught voice lessons to undergraduate music students whose major was other than voice.
- Teacher of Voice 1974-Present
- Teach voice to private students.
- Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute) (Mozart) Tamino, Monostatos, First Priest, First Armored Man
- Gianni Schicchi (Puccini) Gerardo, Rinuccio
- Cosi fan tutté (Mozart) Ferrando
- Carmen I(Bizet) El Remendado
- Les contes d’Hofmann (Tales of Hofmann) (Offenbach) Nathanael
- Le nozze di Figaro (Mozart) Don Curzio
- Ein Traumspiel (A Dream Play) Lidholm): Deacon of Theological Studies
- Der Freischütz (The Marksman) (von Weber) Kilian
- Lulu (Berg) The Prince
- Die Lustige Witwe (The Merry Widow) (Lehár) Kromow, Raoul de St. Brioche
- Gasparone (Millöcker) Petruccio
- Crazy for You (Gershwin) Moose
- My Fair Lady (Lerner/Loewe) First Cockney
- Participated as 1st tenor in opera chorus in approximately 3000 performances of countless productions of operas, operettas, and musicals in numerous languages.
- Computers: Repair and maintain hardware and software computer installations.
- Sports: Founded 1985 the Bern Cardinals Baseball and Softball Club in Bern, Switzerland, coached all level teams, including the 2001 Swiss National Champions.
Full member of National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) since 1977-Present